NAMES IN A HAT
Age level - Any
Proficiency level - Beginners
Material - Slips of paper and a hat or cap
Objective - To give beginners a sense of achievement, since they will be speaking English right away! It also helps them to memorize their classmates' names
- Distribute slips of paper and ask students to write their names on them.
- Collect all the slips in a hat or cap.
- Model the dialog on the board and role-paly it with a student: Is your name.......? Yes, it is / No, it isn't.
- Disribute the slips randomly, making sure students don't get their own names.
- Students walk around, talking to each other.
- After a few minutes, they sit down again and the teacher asks individual students, "Who is he/she?